We are in urgent need of volunteers for our NHS Winter Discharge Support Service. Can you help?
What the service offers:
Our discharge service aims to help patients discharged from hospital to stay well and become connected with neighbourhood community services in their area.
Examples of support offered:
- Reducing social isolation – connecting patients with befriending, check & chat, and opportunities for social contact
- Immediate practical support – such as temporary food parcels/return to home essentials, assistance in purchasing key items, connecting with tradespeople or other practical services
- Connection with voluntary sector services – including mental health, social activities, food banks and health support services
What you will be doing:
- Working alongside NHS staff and other partners to identify patients with extra needs that would benefit from community-based support.
- Spend time with patients waiting for discharge, introducing them to the service, collecting key information and providing an empathic and compassionate presence to a potentially vulnerable group of people.
- Passing important information to the project coordinator to ensure that they can address the patients’ needs as quickly as possible.
Volunteers we need:
- Patient and compassionate individuals, who can provide a caring and approachable presence to introduce vulnerable people to the service.
- Individuals who understand the importance of confidentiality and the need to maintain good professional boundaries during their work with patients, NHS Staff and other partners.
- Be able to travel to Basingstoke and North Hants Hospital for 1-2 hours weekly on a Tuesday, Thursday or Friday.
- Be willing to undertake a DBS check before starting volunteering.
If you are Interested:
If you’d be interested in volunteering or simply want to know more please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01256423816