Trustees Week 2022 – A Trustee Like Me
As part of our Trustees Week celebration, we asked the fantastic Rhiannon, a Trustee at Citizens Advice Basingstoke, for a few words about what it’s like to be Trustee! Here is what he had to say:
What got you involved?
- In 2017/18, I was a volunteer Gateway Assessor at CA before having to take on full-time employment. I was very sad to be leaving after witnessing first-hand all the amazing work the charity does for the community so, when I was asked to re-join as a Trustee, I was thrilled! It has been a great way for me to stay involved with the charity and continue contributing to such an amazing cause.
What do you like about being a Trustee?
- I really enjoy being a Trustee for several reasons, including the ability to “stay in touch” with my community and give something back in return. Though I am no longer advising clients directly, I am now playing a part in the way in which the charity is run; ensuring it remains sustainable, financially viable and that we are doing all we can for the community and our volunteers.
- In addition, as a young professional, becoming a Trustee has been a fantastic way to learn new things and enhance my professional development. I have gained so many invaluable skills, such as leadership, problem-solving and management awareness, which I have been able to transfer over into my full-time job with confidence.
What has been the highlight of your time as a trustee?
- I have been involved in working with Room to Reward – a unique volunteer-recognition charity – which is created to say ‘thank you’ to “Hidden Heroes”. Room to Reward works with charities, such as the CA, by donating unsold rooms from partner hotels to volunteers as a ‘thank you’ for giving up their time to make a difference to those who need it most. Volunteers are nominated by our charity and, if successfully recognised as a “Hidden Hero”, are gifted a complimentary hotel break!
- We have had some amazing volunteers chosen by Room to Reward in recognition of their work, and it has been a real pleasure to be able to celebrate and thank our fantastic volunteers for their dedication to both the CA and our community.
What would you say to someone thinking about becoming a trustee?
Becoming a Trustee is an amazing way to give something back to a cause you care about. It is also a great way to meet new people, learn new or utilise existing skills, and develop your professional network. Charities are always looking for diverse individuals who can bring new perspectives on things, and being at the forefront of real change driven by your idea is immensely rewarding. If you are looking for a new challenge and would like to support and shape the work of an organisation you care about or are interested in, then go for it – you won’t be disappointed!
Would you like to find out more about becoming a Trustee for a local charity? Get in touch with us on email@example.com