Basingstoke Young Carers
What is a young carer?
A young carer is a young person who cares for parent/s or siblings with physical, mental, critical disability/illness or with drug/alcohol addictions.
What is Basingstoke Young Carers?
Basingstoke Young Carers is a charity for young people aged 8-18 that give respite for the young carers based in Basingstoke. They are also a part of a project with the Hampshire Young Carer’s Alliance.
The charity offers the young carer a chance to take a break from their caring responsibilities by providing activities, information, support and guidance to the young person and their families.
We work closely with schools, colleges, local council departments, doctors and many more organisations to ensure that young carers are identified and supported.
The charity runs 3 respite youth clubs for the carers.
These are held at Basingstoke Hockey Club at the following times:
- Monday 6-8pm for carers in year 10, 11 and carers in college
- Wednesday 4:30-6pm for carers in years 4, 5, 6
- Wednesday 6-8pm for carers in years 7, 8, 9
Basingstoke Young Carers is funded by Hampshire County Council and the National Lottery which covers the core running costs. To enable the project to deliver respite activities we have to seek additional funding. We have been lucky enough over the years to have received very kind donations from organisations, which has helped deliver the above youth clubs and activities, trips and residential experiences.
What would we do if we received extra funding?
This will give us the ability to :
- take the Young Carers on trips, to take them away from their caring responsibilities,
- provide transportation to get more carers accessing the service so we can help more carers and their families.
- purchase more equipment so there would be more activities to do at each of the youth clubs.
How to contact Basingstoke Young Carers?
Phone: 01256 423851