Contact us

Get in Touch

Find Local Organisations

Search our Directory

I want to Volunteer

Search for Opportunities

Claiming Gift Aid

You can claim back 25p every time an individual donates £1 to your charity or community amateur sports club (CASC). This is called Gift Aid.

To be eligible for this, your organisation must be registered as a charity or as a CASC.


Gift Aid declarations

To claim Gift Aid you need to get a Gift Aid declaration from your donor. It should state that they have paid at least as much as that donated in Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax in that tax year and agree to Gift Aid being claimed.

The declaration must include a description of the gifted amount and:

  • the name of your charity or community amateur sports club
  • the donor’s name (at least their initial and last name)
  • the donor’s home address (at least their house number or name and postcode)

You must keep a record of declarations for 6 years after the most recent donation you claimed Gift Aid on.

Sample forms from HM Revenue & Customs

The following are sample forms for different type of donations that have been made available by HMRC.

Type of Donation Giving to a charity Giving to a CASC
for one-off donations sample sample
for multiple donations sample sample
for sponsored events sample sample


How to Claim

There are instructions of how to set up an account with Charities Online and then submit your claims for Gift Aid at this link.

When you must Claim

Your deadline to claim Gift Aid depends on how your charity is set up. You need to claim for a donation within 4 years of the end of the financial period you received it in. This is:

  • the tax year (6 April to 5 April) if you’re a trust
  • your accounting period if your charity is a community amateur sports club (CASC), a Charity Incorporated Organisation (CIO) or a limited company

Keep notified on what's going on

Subscribe to our newsletter if part of a Charity, Voluntary Organisation based within Basingstoke & Deane or directly interacting with one.