4 – Running Your Organisation
Basingstoke Voluntary Action have developed a series of guides to help organisations in their day to day work :
4.1 – Admin and Management
4.2 – Activities and Services
4.3 – Improve Your Marketing and Communications
4.4 – Running Successful Fundraising Events
4.5 – How to Write a Charity Marketing Strategy
4.6 – Eight Marketing Essentials for your Charity
For a good overview of ‘Organising a voluntary event‘ see the ‘Can do’ guide available from the Cabinet Office.
Contact the Group Development team via 01256 423816 for additional information and assistance or use our contact us page.
Ensuring your Organisation is Successful
Success is not straightforward. You have a vision but turning the vision into reality can be more challenging than you realise. There are however a number of building blocks that, if in place, should make the journey easier :
- Ensure confidentiality and comply with data protection legislation requirements by having appropriate Administration procedures in place. Make sure they are managed correctly and there is confidentiality and support within the organisation.
- Make sure that all legal requirements for the use of premises (owned or rented) are in place and adhered to. Organisations need to have a clear understanding of their responsibilities, how they fulfil them and ensure that everyone (clients, users, staff and volunteers) is aware of them.
- Involve all your stakeholders (Clients, users, volunteers and committee members) in reviewing your services and developing activities.
- Get actively involved within your community and have a clear operating guide for members plus a planned schedule of events and activities.
- Make sure that publicity and promotional material for the organisation and fundraising events is co-ordinated.
- If Advice, Information and Guidance is provided then make sure that knowledge is maintained and demonstrated, and networking with other relevant organisations is established and maintained.
- Regularly undertake monitoring and evaluation by preparing reports and providing information for improving services.